CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 21, 2011

ADHD??? Who really knows

Since kindergarten Kameron has had some problems at school In kindergarten he got into trouble for things like hitting other kids, and chasing girls trying to kiss them (the school threatened to call the police for sexual harassment for that). But at the time I just thought he had a bad teacher because ...well she was a space cadet. She also got let go after that year of school. First grade not much improvement......in teachers I mean. Kam's behavior got a little better but concentration and focus got a little worse. His teacher was better than kindergarten but not by much. But I have to add that Kameron has liked all his teachers a lot. Me...not so much. In kindergarten they wanted me to have Kam tested for ADHD I didn't agree. In first grade they wanted me to have him tested. I didn't agree. But in second grade he had a really good teacher she was very well organized and strict. She also paid attention to what was going on in her classroom. So in second grade when they wanted me to have him tested I agreed. He was tested. And I am not sure how they figure because my answers were different from his teacher's answers but they decided to put him on medication for ADHD.
No I have to say that I really don't like the idea of those medications, any of them. To me it is like meth because kids lose their appetite, have problems sleeping, lose weight, sometimes hallucinate too. Not to mention that the first medication he was put on was called methylin and on the pills it said c. meth ???? So he tried that medication his reading level went from a 1st grade level to a 3rd grade level. His grades went up, and I seemed to get a few less complaints and calls from the school. So all was well, for the rest of the school year. Then in 3rd grade we started back on that medication after summer. Because he just doesn't need it if he is not in school. But this time while on the medication, he looked and acted a lot like a zombie. Just emotion less and pretty numb to the world. No personality at all, no smile...nothing. It was like we lost Kam in there somewhere. It really made me sad to see. So I spoke with the doctor, she prescribed something else and this one was called adderall.  Same side effects. It worked for a minute. But in the evenings when it wore off he got really irritable and just mean to everyone in our house. Snapping at everyone, and really REALLY emotional. So again I spoke with the doctor and we switched again.  This time to focalin. Same side effects; loss of appetite, hard to sleep, etc..... He took it for about 2 weeks and maybe it wasn't really in his system as well as could be but we were seeing some really scary behavior like Kam being really rough with Jordyn and pushing her down for being in his way, pushing Lincoln's head knocking him down because he wouldn't leave Kam alone, he even shoved me in our hallway because we were both walking on the same side of the hall opposite directions so I was in his way. He was starting to act really violent even sometimes at school. It really scared me. So I called the doctor, yes again, and I sas really upset talking to her telling her what was going on and she told me to double the dose; give him 2 not 1 pill. I never did I was too worried about how he may act or if I would be overdosing him. So we have given up on the pills for now. I will post again soon. But for now I better get to bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment